Review - movies and books to pass the time at the hospital

4:42:00 AM

MOVIES

Bird Box

Bird Box (trailer) was the first movie that I watched at the hospital. It was... a thriller? or maybe even a horror movie. I am not a fan of horror movies, but this was not disgusting, but just exciting.

Five years after an ominous unseen presence drives most of society to suicide, a mother and her two children make a desperate bid to reach safety.

I have no confidence in writing reviews, as you can probably understand. Anyway, this movie was really interestng and had a lot of unexpected things happening. I should also say that I really liked the actors. They matched well with their roles and I am saying it again - it was super exciting. The idea is really original and it made me think - what would I see that would so horrible that makes me want to kill myself on the spot?

Raiting: 8/10.

tall girl

Tall Girl (trailer) was something really easy to watch, as it was just about high school life and accepting yourself.

Jodi, the tallest girl in her high school, has always felt uncomfortable in her own skin. But after years of slouching, being made fun of, and avoiding attention at all costs, Jodi finally decides to find the confidence to stand tall.

This movie was actually quite a funny one. Main character's family is hilarious and it is worth watching just for that. It is easy and nice, there isn't too much drama and you can fully enjoy it. Time passed quite fast and nicely, the movie didn't feel long at all. I am 170 cms tall, but I remember that at school it was too much and I was always the second tallest of the girls. So I really liked how the main character accepted herself in the end and how I have done or tried to do it.

Raiting: 7/10.

the perfect date

The Perfect Date (trailer) was again a really fun movie to watch.

To save up for college, Brooks Rattigan creates an app where anyone can pay him to play the perfect stand-in boyfriend for any occasion.

Again I really liked that it wasn't super dramatic and serious, but was rather easy. The actors were good again and there were a huge variety of characters. I like how it focused on the fact that you don't have to plan everything ahead and that some things are nice when they are spontaneous. Or how you don't need to fit into a role and it is the best to just be yourself.

Raiting: 8/10.

sierra burgess

Sierra Burgess Is a Loser (trailer) was very real and captured well how people who are not liked much handle school. I really loved that the man character didn't have a random glow up, which helped her get all of her goals.

A case of mistaken identity results in unexpected romance when the most popular girl in high school and the biggest loser must come together to win over their crushes.

Which I also really liked was the fact that in addition to just a love story it showed the role of friendship and how it can unexpectedly happen. They also portrayed how out past and daily life affects our actions. The ending was a bit hurried, but I still really liked everything.

Raiting: 7/10.

isn't it romantic

Isn't It Romantic (trailer) was a movie where everything did not happen in the high school for a change.

A young woman disenchanted with love mysteriously finds herself trapped inside a romantic comedy.

This was a really fun movie, where bigger drama did not happen at all - it was replaced by some good jokes. I really liked that in addition to "I want to get back to my own world" it was also focusing on self love and accepting yourself in general. Very much of a kliche, but it had to be that way. I recommend.

Raiting: 7/10.


BOOKS
KAAS_UUS.indd

"Orange Is the New Black"

With a career, a boyfriend, and a loving family, Piper Kerman barely resembles the reckless young woman who delivered a suitcase of drug money ten years before. But that past has caught up with her. Convicted and sentenced to fifteen months at the infamous federal correctional facility in Danbury, Connecticut, the well-heeled Smith College alumna is now inmate #11187–424 — one of the millions of people who disappear “down the rabbit hole” of the American penal system. From her first strip search to her final release, Kerman learns to navigate this strange world with its strictly enforced codes of behavior and arbitrary rules. She meets women from all walks of life, who surprise her with small tokens of generosity, hard words of wisdom, and simple acts of acceptance. Heartbreaking, hilarious, and at times enraging, Kerman’s story offers a rare look into the lives of women in prison—why it is we lock so many away and what happens to them when they’re there.

I have watched the series that they made about it, to a point. I really liked it much more than I did like the book. Maybe it was because I could understand the author was not a writer. At the same time I read it all. I could find similarities between myself and the main character, as I feel like I am in a prison here. All in all I don't think it was a waste of time to read it, as there were still parts I was hooked on and it was definitely not boring.

Raiting: 5/10.

lumivalgeke

"Snow White Must Die"

Snow White Must Die by Nele Neuhaus is a tremendous new contemporary mystery series and huge international bestseller—with more than 3.5 million copies in print! On a rainy November day police detectives Pia Kirchhoff and Oliver von Bodenstein are summoned to a mysterious traffic accident: A woman has fallen from a pedestrian bridge onto a car driving underneath. According to a witness, the woman may have been pushed. The investigation leads Pia and Oliver to a small village, and the home of the victim, Rita Cramer. On a September evening eleven years earlier, two seventeen-year-old girls vanished from the village without a trace. In a trial based only on circumstantial evidence, twenty-year-old Tobias Sartorius, Rita Cramer's son, was sentenced to ten years in prison. Bodenstein and Kirchhoff discover that Tobias, after serving his sentence, has now returned to his home town. Did the attack on his mother have something to do with his return? In the village, Pia and Oliver encounter a wall of silence. When another young girl disappears, the events of the past seem to be repeating themselves in a disastrous manner. The investigation turns into a race against time, because for the villagers it is soon clear who the perpetrator is—and this time they are determined to take matters into their own hands. An atmospheric, character-driven and suspenseful mystery set in a small town that could be anywhere, dealing with issues of gossip, power, and keeping up appearances.

Well this was an exciting criminal story! From the first page, I was hooked for real and usually I read before going to sleep, but with this - I found moments during the day to also read it. There are so many different characters who have their own lives and worries. It also had moments of real plot twists, which I definitely did not see coming.

Jo Nesbo is one of my ultimate favourite writers, but this book was so good and almost caught up to him (maybe it is even better than some of his works!) and this is worth a mention. At the moment I am reading the next book in this series, which doesn't seem to flow as nicely. I think in my thoughts I am still having a bit of a hangover over this vook.

Raiting: 9/10.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe