Books and quarantine

4:25:00 AM

I have been reading a ton of books during this isolation, using Estonian online library.

At the hospital in Tartu I read two crime stories bt Nele Neuhaus, and I was really glad to find the third part from the library. And this books passed so fast!

48578643._SY475_

She looked at herself in the mirror, touched her fingertips to the little red hood on her head, and laughed. The dress was a real dirndl, with a short skirt and apron. Papa had plaited her hair into two braids, and she really looked exactly like Little Red Riding Hood in her fairy-tale book.
He always brought presents—it was a secret that she and Papa shared, because he never brought anything for the others. Only for her. She was his favorite.
The door opened, and she uttered a frightened cry when she saw the wolf. But then she had to laugh. It wasn't a real wolf after all; it was only Papa, who had put on a costume. How lovely it was that she was the only one to share this secret with Papa. Too bad she could never remember anything afterward.

On a hot June day, the body of a sixteen-year-old girl washes up on a riverbank outside of Frankfurt. She has been brutally murdered and shows signs of long-term abuse, but no one comes forward with any information as to her identity. Even weeks later, the local police have not been able to find out who she is. Then a new case comes in: A popular television host is attacked, raped, and locked in the trunk of her own car. She survives, barely, and is able to supply only vague hints to the police, having to do with her recent investigations into an organization whose members are from the highest echelons of society, and the potential uncovering of a shocking history they'd prefer to keep from the public eye. As the two cases collide, Inspectors Pia Kirchhoff and Oliver von Bodenstein dig deep into the past and underneath the veneer of bourgeois society to come up against a terrible secret that is about to impact their personal lives as well. It is almost too late for a person very close to Pia before she and Oliver finally track down the big bad wolf.


This was a crazy book. A lot of the characters and actions were seriously fucked up, to be honest. I really liked though, how realistically it was written. Sometimes I don't like when there are different points of views in a book, but at this one I wasn't mad about it. This really explained the situations and characters more. I know that this author has quite a few books, so hopefully they will be translated into Estonian too.

Second book I read was "Geek girl" and I am embarrassed. It was a young adult book, and a really BAD one...

34226924._SY475_

Harriet Manners knows a lot of things.

She knows that a cat has 32 muscles in each ear, a "jiffy" lasts 1/100th of a second, and the average person laughs 15 times per day. What she isn't quite so sure about is why nobody at school seems to like her very much. So when she's spotted by a top model agent, Harriet grabs the chance to reinvent herself. Even if it means stealing her Best Friend's dream, incurring the wrath of her arch enemy Alexa, and repeatedly humiliating herself in front of the impossibly handsome supermodel Nick. Even if it means lying to the people she loves.

As Harriet veers from one couture disaster to the next with the help of her overly enthusiastic father and her uber-geeky stalker, Toby, she begins to realise that the world of fashion doesn't seem to like her any more than the real world did.

And as her old life starts to fall apart, the question is: will Harriet be able to transform herself before she ruins everything?


I have the second book of the series at home (don't worry, I didn't buy it, my sister's friend lent it :D) and I don't know if I want to read it. :D I hate not finishing things, but at the same time, this was horrible! Why I continued reading it in the first place, was because it kind of reminded me stories I used to write. :D Anyway, it was filled with second hand embarrasment...

Thirdly I read another young adult book "Instructions for second-hand heart".

36552511._SY475_

Jonny has a faulty heart and his time is running out. Niamh has just lost her twin brother in a tragic accident. As their fates collide, soon Jonny is on the mend - but desperate to know more about his donor. When he tracks down Niamh, he only intends to find out about her brother, the first owner of his heart. He doesn't plan on falling in love... A stunning, tear-jerking novel about grief, guilt, and the unpredictability of love.

This was very real and emotional and written well. I didn't cry reading it, but some of the situations and how the characters handled life, made me think a lot. I think it was well written. I really liked that the point was that you don't need to get over things, sometimes you just need to accept and keep living with them. Maybe reminded me oh Jogn Green style, but I liked it more than his books.

And lastly I read this one Estonian book, called "Journey to yourself".

52205584._SX318_SY475_

This I started reading because it touched eating disorder subjects, but I liked it more than I at first thought. But at the same time it is like... too fake positive. If you are in a deep shit like I am, it is difficult to think that oh yes, I will do this now and ace all life! She somehow makes everything seem so easy. I don't know. Maybe I will like it more in some time when I have had enough time to think. I have had some cases like this.

I haven't finished it yet, but almost. I know my next one to read will be Paolo Coelgo "Spy", so maybe I will write some more book reviews in the future.

Have you read something interestinf in quarantine? Do you have any recommendations?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe