What to do at home in isolation

3:53:00 AM

This topic has been covered by milion and one bloggers, but I wanted to be popular too and discuss the options a little. Options that aren't dying of boredom, that is. I will try to make a list of the things and check it out myself whenever I don't know what to do any more.

  • reading
I have a ton of books at home that I haven't even touched, but at the moment I am using Estonia's e-library, which is really cool. I am currently reading "Bad Wolf" by Nele Neuhaus and I absolutely love this criminal story.

But if you don't like reading online on your phone or computer, you can still go and visit a library (I think these still work). Also you can order online from some of the bookstores in Estonia.

If you are not interested in books, you are more than welcome to read magazines. For Estonian, I recommend vegan magazine, which is also available FOR FREE online. There are a lot more magazines that you will probably like, too!

Which I don't recommend to do, is reading news. Yes, of course you should keep an eye on what is happening, but don't spend a day constantly scrolling news. I find it cuses stress and being really upset.

What have you been reading recently, do you have any recommendations?

  • Cooking
Having a home office it gives me an opportunity to cook fresh meals for lunch, which I really like.

IMG_20200319_155143_670

Also in addition I decided to make kimchi and I also baked bread. I have also planned out meals for the next week and I have bought everything I need. For example last night we made some Japanese curry and today we are making buckwheat. Then tomorrow we will make kimchi fried rice, where we also add a fried egg on top. Then on Thursday I am making groud and potato mash with onion and on Friday we will make sweet potato boats filled with chilli.

I really like having these kind of proper plans, it makes me feel more normal and I don't have to think about what to make.

I also saw Estonian bread company posting how to make a started for bread on Facebook and I thought that maybe this can be my next project.

When was the last time you made something new? Do you have any recipe recommendations? And when was the last time you baked something? I really feel like baking. :D
  • watching youtube
I find that I cannot focus enough to watch a movie or series (even though this is also something you can do in isolation). I really like watching just youtube. I usually watch different vlogs and DIYs etc, it is a good way to distract yourself from the crisis situation.

You watch youtube sometimes? What do you like to watch? I need some new channels to watch! :D
  • learning a language
I haven't done much of it, but in Japan I promised that I will try and remember Japanese. I used to take classes in it for a year in university. I understand some bits, but not enough to have a conversation.

In English it is good to learn it via Duolingo. I have studied Norwegian on there, and I managed to learn quite a bit. I really like that they teach you every day things, not like... poems, like we had to learn in Russian classes at school.

There are a lot more pages where you can do some studying, but I highly recommend this. It is simple, cute and easy. Besides there are a lot of different languages to pick from.

Which language would you like to study? Have you ever learned a language by yourself? I find that studying it in a group is much easier, but this will do.
  • cleaning
I know, I know. Who cleans voluntarily? But it feels so good after! We have one room flat and most of my day I spend in the kitchen that is kind of like my office. And after work I am in the bedroom. I really like keeping the kitchen clean, it helps me to focus better and it is nice to make dinner when there aren't like dirty dishes in the sink or something.

I really should look over my clothes and sort them a bit. As this isolation seems to still be going on for a while, I think I will do it at one point. :D I always start to clean when I don't want to do anything else. Anyone else? :D
  • going for a walk
Most of the time you should stay home! And not go to shopping centers or other public places. I still think some walking is a nice thing to do. Especially if you can go to a place where there aren't many people around.

I have been going out on some days and only met people with dogs or small kids. There aren't too many people around here, so I feel quite safe. I don't even go to foodstores and try to make one trip a week to there.
  • journaling
Or writing this blog. :D I think this is a really nice thing to do with your time. Just start writing. Besides you can later look back to this and think that wow, 2020 was crazy with the isolation and the situation in the world.  You can even tell it to your grandchildren...

I also have a scrapbook that I occasionally fill with stickers and photos and it is really nice and relaxing thing to do. Currently I am adding reciepts from Japan into it. :D Maybe I will take some pictures of it at one point and post here too.

Have you ever had a journal or diary? Or a blog? If you are reading blogs, feel free to also recommend me some!
  • solving puzzles
Here you can add a lot of things. For example playing some games or solving jigsaws or sudokus. I have a wave of sudoku obsession at the moment. And then at one point I get bored of them and don't solve them for months. :D But currently I am into them. I even bought 3 different sudoku books, thinking I may get bored of one. :D

There are also word puzzles you can solve, but these I don't really like. But if you do, it is a good way to even learn something.

Which one do you prefer? Sudokus or puzzles?

I could write down milion other things. For example watching series and movies, writing a letter, online shopping, drawing, making art, watching TV, playing table games, writing your original story, singing, practicing an instrument, having a video chat with friends, doing yoga, working out at home, listening to a podcast or audio book... and so on and so on.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe